Who is Bream Bay Village Limited?

Bream Bay Village Limited ("we" or "the Operator") is the operator of Bream Bay Village. It is owned by Private Health Care (NZ) Limited and PBG Limited. Private Health Care (NZ) Limited is owned and controlled by Cliff Cook and PBG Investments Limited is owned and controlled by Paul Gray. Cliff has been a leader in the private healthcare and retirement sectors for over 35 years. He was a founding director and shareholder of the listed company Metlifecare Limited and a founding and former executive member and Chairman of the Retirement Villages Association of New Zealand Inc. The Directors of Bream Bay Village Limited are Andrew Edwards, Paul Gray, Neville Cook, and Stephen Speers.

When did construction of Bream Bay Village commence?

Construction of Bream Bay Village commenced on 1st April 2018.

Why do people choose to live in a retirement village?

- Companionship and social interaction that thrives in a village community - A sense of safety enjoyed due to the village community environment - The burden of home and garden maintenance is removed - The freedom to lock-up and go away on holiday - Peace of mind, knowing that there is assistance available 24 hours a day, seven days a week - Access to a range of facilities for the exclusive enjoyment of village residents

What is an Occupation Right Agreement?

Your right to live in Bream Bay Village is contractual and takes the form of an occupation licence. You are granted the right to live in a unit for your life, subject to compliance with the terms of your licence. The licence is commonly referred to as an occupation right agreement and it grants you a right to occupy a unit but does not give you any interest in the land.

What is the cooling-off period?

If you change your mind after you have signed the occupation right agreement, you have the right, without giving any reasons to cancel the occupation right agreement during a 15 working day "cooling off" period. If you exercise this right you are entitled to a full refund of any payments.

What is a Disclosure Statement?

The Disclosure Statement provides you with information about the village's ownership, management and supervision. It also includes useful information about the state of the village, the services and facilities offered, the costs involved and what you can expect to get back after you leave.

How are my interests protected?

New Zealand has a robust statutory regime in place. The Retirement Villages Act 2003, its regulations, and the Retirement Villages Code of Practice protect the interests of residents and impose obligations on us as the village's operator. A statutory memorial is registered against the title to the village land. This memorial is public notice that the land is used as a retirement village and any security holder exercising its rights under a security must do so subject to the rights of the residents. An appointed statutory supervisor holds a second ranking encumbrance over the village land which secures performance of our obligations to the statutory supervisor and residents. More information about the Retirement Villages Act 2003 and its regulations can be found on the Commission for Financial Capability website.

What is the role of the statutory supervisor?

The statutory supervisor's role is to monitor the financial position of the village and ensure that we are performing our duties in accordance with the Retirement Villages Act 2003. Covenant Trustee Services Limited is the village's statutory supervisor. Covenant visits the village at least once every year at the annual general meeting and can be contacted by phone if you have any concerns.

What is a deferred management fee?

Maintaining the shared facilities and village infrastructure such as the community centre, indoor heated pool, bowling green and the village's landscaped grounds requires ongoing expenditure. These amenities are for the benefit of all and so the purpose of a deferred management fee is to share the cost among all residents. The amount you will be required to contribute is capped at 30% of your entry payment. It accrues each month and is deducted on the resale of an occupation right agreement for your unit.

What is the weekly fee and what does it cover?

Residents are required to pay a weekly fee which is a contribution toward the general costs of operating the village. Some of the costs covered by the weekly fee include: - Council rates - Insurance for village buildings and community facilities - Operating costs of the community facilities - General building maintenance and upkeep of community facilities - Staffing costs including village management The weekly fee is set at the time you enter the village and is a fixed amount for your entire period of occupancy of your unit. The weekly fee will not be varied regardless of any changes to the village's operating expenses. When your licence terminates you will be required to pay your weekly fee until your unit is re-licenced. However, if after 6 months it has not been re-licenced then the weekly fee will reduce to 50%, and if after 9 months it is still not re-licenced the weekly fee will cease.

What other expenses will I be responsible for?

You are responsible for your private utility charges such as electricity, water, telephone, personal insurance, appliance maintenance and any medical or other personal requirements. You are also responsible for the interior maintenance of your home, including the fixtures, fittings and upkeep of the Operator’s chattels.

Are there any special requirements to becoming a Resident?

Yes, at the time of entering the village residents must generally be 65 years old and able to cope with the day-to-day running of an independent home.

What is included with my unit?

Your new home comes with high quality fittings and finishes and is well-appointed for your comfort. Some of the features include: - Kitchen appliance package, which includes dishwasher, concealed rangehood, electric ceramic cooktop, under bench oven - Soft furnishings : Curtains and blinds - Carpet: Solution dyed nylon - Heat pump with concealed high level vent to living area - 24 hour emergency call button

Can I have my own garden?

Bream Bay Village grounds are beautifully landscaped to harmonise with the environment of the village and should residents wish to, they are welcome to take an active part in their development.

Can I have a pet?

We value pets and the companionship they provide and so will be permitted with our prior written approval. This is required because we need to consider the needs of other residents', staff and the retirement community environment. As such any pet must not intrude on another resident’s quiet enjoyment of their home and of the village amenities.

Can my friends and family stay with me?

Yes. Your unit is your own home so naturally you can have visitors. However, over any consecutive 12 month period guests cannot stay more than 90 days in total unless you have obtained our prior written approval. Your guests may use any of the village facilities.

What happens to my home when I go on holiday?

It is your own home and therefore you may come and go as you please. One of the many advantages of village living is that you can go on holiday for a week, a month or a year, with the peace of mind of knowing that your home will be watched over and the grounds maintained. We do recommend however that you obtain personal insurance and that you advise us of any extended period of absence or of any change of plans you may make while you are away.

Are there any “hidden” restrictions?

We like to think that Bream Bay Village will remove the burden of many of the chores and responsibilities that now consume your time and restrict your freedom. The only “limitations”, if you could call them that are those that are a normal part of village life, these are the small considerations and courtesies which any caring community would extend to their fellow villagers. A village compendium is provided to residents when they move in. This provides an informative A to Z for the village, including the rules that apply for the common facilities. A list of rights and obligations are also set out in the village's Disclosure Statement.

What help is available should I need it?

Your unit is equipped with a 24-hour emergency call system providing access to assistance 24 hours, seven days a week. Also, home help is available in your own unit on a user pays basis.

What is the Retirement Villages Code of Practice?

The Retirement Villages Act 2003 requires a retirement village to observe a Code of Practice which sets out minimum standards around how the village operates. These include: - Staffing of the village - Safety and personal security of residents - Fire protection and emergency management - Transferring residents within a village - Meetings between residents and the operator - Complaints facility - Accounts - Maintenance and upgrading - Process for terminating an occupation right agreement by either the operator or resident - Resale and repayment process - Communications with residents A copy of the Retirement Villages Code of Practice will be provided to you when you complete an application for an occupation right agreement.

Will I have a say in the running of the Village?

Residents are always welcome to talk to the village manager about any aspect of the operation of Bream Bay Village. Bream Bay Village has a Residents’ Committee, made up of resident representatives elected by the residents themselves. The Committee will act as the residents’ voice to liaise with management and will have an important role in the smooth running of Bream Bay Village.

Is there regular financial reporting to residents?

Yes. The Operator submits an annual financial report to all residents at the annual general meeting. This report includes prior year profit and loss accounts and coming year forecast. The Operator's accounts are reviewed by its auditors and the Statutory Supervisor and are filed with the Companies Office. The Statutory Supervisor also receives a quarterly financial update from the Operator during the year.

What happens if I decide that village life is not for me?

If for some reason you choose to leave Bream Bay Village we will repay the amount you paid on entering the Village, less a deferred management fee of 10% per annum for each of the first three years of occupation, and any other deductions set out in your occupation right agreement, no later than 5 working days after settling an occupation right agreement for your previous unit to a new resident. You will not be entitled to share in any capital gain when your unit is re-licenced.

Who pays for the refurbishment of the unit when I leave?

We are responsible for all refurbishment costs associated with bringing your unit up to a standard suitable for sale. However, if there is any damage, including damage by pets or through smoking, or unreasonable wear that is beyond fair wear and tear, then you will be responsible for that portion of the costs as determined through an independent assessment.

What happens if my unit doesn’t sell straight away?

The weekly fee you are required to pay to the Operator will reduce to 50% if a sale is not reached within six months of your occupation right agreement terminating or of you providing vacant possession of your unit, whichever is the later, and will stop completely after nine months. In addition, if a sale takes longer than nine months after you leave the Village, we will pay interest on the refund payment due to you.

How do I apply for a unit at Bream Bay Village?

When you have made the decision to move to Bream Bay Village you will be required to complete an application form. During this process we will discuss your situation, the way Bream Bay Village operates, and answer any questions you may have. We will also provide you with the following documents: - The village's Disclosure Statement form of the village's Occupation Right Agreement - Code of Residents' Rights, and - Retirement Villages Code of Practice. We know it is a lot of reading, but we want you to be comfortable that, based upon the information provided, you have made the right decision. We will also give you a medical form to take to your doctor to complete and for your doctor to confirm that a retirement village is a suitable place for you to live, and for us to assess whether we will be able to accommodate any health issues you may have. The documents listed above will then be sent to your lawyer. This is so that you can obtain legal advice before you sign the occupation right agreement. The purpose of this is to ensure that you understand the general effect of the occupation licence and the rights and obligations arising under it.

How do I find out more information about Bream Bay Village or the availability of any units?

Should you require any further information, please contact us on: Paul Gray Ph 021 330 884

RVA Temp logo-1.jpg


Bowling Green

The Club House

Indoor Swimming Pool

Spa Pool & Mini Gym

Camper & Boat Parking

Landscaped Grounds

Fast Fibre Internet

Gorgeous White Sand

Beaches near by

Stunning Walks & Scenery

Safe Harbour with Great Fishing

Close to Boat Ramps

Semi-Rural Lifestyle

Markets and horse racing

90 minutes to Auckland

Outstanding Natural Environment

Under 30 minutes to Whangarei

or Waipu

Bream Bay Village logo